So, changing gears here from the diet to discuss my daughter and her potty training, or lack there of. For some children, potty training is learned really quickly. Like my friend, her daughter was potty trained pretty quickly and wearing big girl underwear pretty soon after turning 2. My friend's daughter is only 2 months older than Mia so I thought for sure Mia wouldn't be far behind in the land of potty training. Boy was I wrong! And as a mother who has been taught time and time again that Mia will develop on her own time and when she's ready, I haven't stressed potty training all that much, until recently. Why the sudden change of heart? Because I've recently found out that Mia is pretty much potty trained at daycare, it's at home that she's not. My fault? Quite possibly. When a teacher at daycare handed me a "How to potty train your child" video, I realized that I needed to turn it up a notch. Or maybe a whole lot more.
Over the past 7-8 mos, Mia has sparked interest from time to time about using the big girl potty and as a proud mommy I think, oh yeah, she's getting it! But after about a week she's over it again and is perfectly happy wearing a heavy, droopy diaper. When we get home from daycare, I ask her about every 30 minutes if she needs to go potty, her reply, no. I've heard not to push potty training so I let it go and just ask her later. Always the same reply though. Wednesday night was probably the straw that broke the metaphorical camel's back.
So we get home late from church and Mia desperately needs a bath. He had pink spray paint in her hair from a party at daycare and it would be quite obvious that she didn't get a bath if she came to school the next day with pink hair. So every time she gets undressed, we ask her to use the potty. Sometimes she'll sit on there for a second and then jump off and get in her bathtub. That night she told her daddy "I don't have to potty." and proceeded to step into the tub. As she lifted her leg to step over, she peed all over her stool and bath mat. Mike was fuming! Please keep in mind that we started our detox plan on Wednesday and he was hungry and irritable or normally he probably wouldn't have gotten so mad. He didn't yell or anything, but I could sense the frustration oozing off of him. Why didn't she just sit on the potty? We have no idea. I recommend a show called "Toddler Whisper" for those of us who can't "train" our toddlers!
I tell my sister the next day about this lovely ordeal and she suggested having a treasure box where Mia can pick a prize if she actually goes pee pee or poo poo in the potty. I'd tried other things, but not this, so I proceeded to decorate a shoe box with princess wrapping paper and to really sparkle it up, I added puff paint and glitter! Last night I went to Wal-Mart and got a ton of goodies to put in the box (AKA Potty Treasure) and when I got home I filled the box to the top and put it in Mia's bathroom. I told Mia about the Treasure box and she immediately tried to go potty. She stared longingly at this "tacky" box while she tried to go tinkle and I was so excited because I thought, "yes, this is it, she loves getting prizes!" And then, being the sweet and honest little girl is, looked at me and said "No pee pee today."
Guess we'll keep on trying...she still doesn't know what is in the box so at least her curiosity is peaked! If the Potty Treasure doesn't work, I may be seeking more advice!
No comments:
Post a Comment